Writing Highway Construction Specifications
|OnDemand Webinar||$199||Add to Cart|
Write specifications that mean the same thing - not different things - to everyone who reads them. This is harder to do than one might be willing to admit. Ambiguous specifications result in costly bid contingencies and, during a project, additional costs for change orders and claims or paying someone to respond to unnecessary RFIs. Given the ever-tighter budgets we're all working under, you cannot afford a loosely written specification any more.
This OnDemand Webinar will result in lower construction costs on your next project whether you write specifications or use them to manage work.
- You will be able to recognize common, costly mistakes in specification language.
- You will be able to define and write specifications everyone will understand.
- You will be able to review bid contingencies, change orders and claims.
- You will be able to describe the five C's in specification writing.
AuthorsBryce R. Nahas, Trauner Consulting Services, Inc.
Geoffrey L. Page, PSP, Trauner Consulting Services, Inc.
• Why Do Specifications Need to Be Well Written?
• How Will You Benefit From This Information?
• Gather Resources
• Style Guide
• General Provisions/Conditions
The Five Cs
- Simplicity in Word Choice, Short Sentences, Short Paragraphs
- Readability Statistics From Microsoft® Word™
- Avoiding Passive Writing
- Avoid Ambiguities
- Avoid Unnecessary Jargon
- Avoid Words With Multiple Meanings
- Follow a Format - AASHTO, CSI, or Something Else