Building Addition Structural Evaluation and Condition Assessment
|OnDemand Webinar||$219||Add to Cart|
Designing building additions requires several considerations, some of which may not be clearly evident at the start of the project. The process of doing this work is not a course that is taught in most engineering colleges. However, this is a task that many engineers are asked to do by their clients, and not all of them have had the experience to take on this complex engineering task which may have several pitfalls. Condition of the existing structure needs to be carefully evaluated and assessed, and changes in building codes need to be studied carefully before launching on a building addition project. There may be certain liabilities and risks that creep up, not only during the design phase but also during the construction phase, which must be clearly understood.
This OnDemand Webinar will help you become aware of the various structural considerations that need to be given to projects involving building additions and the risks associated with this type of work, so you can follow appropriate steps to mitigate their risk. We will include a discussion on non-destructive evaluation (NDE) as to when and where such methods can be utilized to gain useful structural information in the absence of drawings of the existing facility where an addition is being proposed. Some case histories will be discussed to demonstrate the process which the participants can use as samples for their projects.
- You will be able to discuss why assessments are necessary in a building addition project?
- You will be able to review structural considerations in building additions and evaluations.
- You will be able to describe the evaluation of existing footings and columns.
- You will be able to identify the use of non-destructive evaluation (NDE) methods in structural assessment.
AuthorsNarendra Gosain, Ph.D., P.E., Walter P Moore
General Considerations in Designing Building Additions
• Are Drawings Available?
• Will There Be Any Changes in Occupancy?
• Why Are Assessments Necessary in a Building Addition Project?
• Risk Assessment in Doing a Building Addition
Structural Considerations in Building Additions and Evaluations
• Changes in Building Codes Since Original Design: Impact on Existing Structure
• Evaluation of Existing Footings: Structural and Geotechnical
• Differential Settlement Issues
• Evaluation of Existing Columns: Need for Strengthening
• Vertical Expansion Case History
• Stadium Addition Case History
• Use of Non-Destructive Evaluation Methods in Structural Assessment
• Vibration Issues in a Vertical Expansion Medical Tower Project