Writing Highway Construction Specifications
|OnDemand Webinar||$199||Add to Cart|
Write specifications that mean the same thing ??" not different things ??" to everyone who reads them. This is harder to do than one might be willing to admit. Ambiguous specifications result in costly bid contingencies and, during a project, additional costs for change orders and claims or paying someone to respond to unnecessary RFIs. Given the ever-tighter budgets we're all working under, you cannot afford a loosely written specification any more.
This OnDemand Webinar will result in lower construction costs on your next project whether you write specifications or use them to manage work.
- You will be able to recognize common, costly mistakes in specification language.
- You will be able to define and write specifications everyone will understand.
- You will be able to review bid contingencies, change orders and claims.
- You will be able to describe the five C's in specification writing.
AuthorsBryce R. Nahas, Trauner Consulting Services, Inc.
Geoffrey L. Page, PSP, Trauner Consulting Services, Inc.
- Why Do Specifications Need to Be Well Written?
- How Will You Benefit From This Information?
- Gather Resources
- Style Guide
- General Provisions/Conditions
The Five Cs
- Simplicity in Word Choice, Short Sentences, Short Paragraphs
- Readability Statistics From Microsoft® Word™
- Avoiding Passive Writing
- Avoid Ambiguities
- Avoid Unnecessary Jargon
- Avoid Words With Multiple Meanings
- Follow a Format - AASHTO, CSI, or Something Else