LEED® and Sustainable Design Building Materials
|OnDemand Webinar||$199||Add to Cart|
The current development of "green building" standards, the growing awareness of global environmental problems, and the realization of the impact of certain chemicals on human health, have increased the demand for green materials. The LEEDŽ Rating Systems have played an important role in this new consciousness.
Unfortunately these advances have also caused the proliferation of multiple standards, conflicting definitions, and frequent unreliable product claims, thus making the process of choosing materials far more complex. This OnDemand Webinar will help you recognize the most significant environmental issues that affect your LEEDŽ and other sustainably oriented projects. We will begin to look at the attributes materials and products with a project focus. The fundamental concepts of Life Cycle Assessment, LCA, will expand your scope of consideration from the built environment to include the impacts that products and materials have on the larger regional and global environments.
Navigate various standards, regulations, project requirements in order to make appropriate selections and fulfill the LEEDŽ requirements.
- You will be able to define how sustainable building materials and finishes may differ from traditional materials in terms of LEEDŽ requirements and beyond.
- You will be able to explain the basic concept of life cycle assessment.
- You will be able to identify the difficulties of choosing and validating green materials; how LEEDŽ helps and hinders this process.
- You will be able to review the tools available from USGBC and other resources to support providing sustainable materials.
AuthorsSusan M. Kaplan CCS, LEEDŽ AP BD+C, HLW International LLP
Establish How Sustainable Building Materials and Finishes May Differ From Traditional Materials in Terms of LEEDŽ Requirements and Beyond
- Review Basic LEEDŽ Material Goals
- Review Specific LEEDŽ Material Requirements and Standards
- Compare LEEDŽ Standards to a Typical Project Standards
- Investigate Sustainable Material Goals Not Yet Fully Integrated Into LEEDŽ Rating System
Understand the Basic Concept of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)
- Review 'Cradle to Cradle' Approach to Materials
- Explore LCA Models From Athena Institute, BEES, and Five Winds
Adopt Project Specific Focus to Guide the Choice of Sustainable Materials
- Understand the Significance of Project Focus
- Consider How Climate, Community, Building Type, Inhabitant Type, Aesthetics, and Budget Can Directly Affect Sustainable Material Choices
- Acknowledge the Role of Compromise in Material Choice
Investigate the Difficulties of Choosing and Validating Green Materials; How LEEDŽ Helps and Hinders This Process
- Define 'Green-Wash' and Grasp Its Implications
- Look at LEEDŽ Material Requirements Again to Understand Their Important Role of Mainstreaming
- Look at LEEDŽ Material Requirements Again to Understand the Limit of Their Scope and the Issues of 'One Dimensionality'
- Review Available Standards and Certifications
- Acknowledge the Over Proliferations of Resources Claiming Support Finding Green Materials
- Understand the Role of Manufacturers
Explore the Tools Available From USGBC and Other Resources to Support Providing Sustainable Materials
- Review Available Valuable Tools to Help Sort out the Choosing of Sustainable Materials
- LEEDŽ Resource Guides
- LEEDŽ User
- Building Green Suite
- Pharos Project